Carer's Information

Are you a Carer or a Cared-for person?

If you said yes, did you know that you are entitled to some additional help from your GP Surgery? Please ask at reception and we can support you to becoming a registered Carer at the surgery. Once you are registered as a Carer you are entitled to a free yearly flu vaccination and an extended Gp appointment when required. For more information please ask at reception.

Forest House Surgery Carers Support Policy

If you are a carer, you might find it difficult to access our services without extra support.

If you identify yourself as a carer, our staff will try to offer you:

  • Flexibility on appointment times where possible.
  • Support for the person you care for in the waiting room or a private area if you need to bring them to the surgery but would like an appointment in private.
  • Information about local Carer support services which may be able to arrange transport and/or sitting services to help you leave home to attend surgery.
  • An annual health check and a flu jab.
  • Information about your right to a Carers’ Assessment of your own needs as a carer.
  • Advice on safer lifting and other aspects of providing care such as medication.
  • Discussing with you on what you would like us to do in the event of you or the person you care for having a medical or other emergency.

In some cases caring roles are full time and very demanding. We would like to support you in you caring role where we can. We will avoid making assumptions about the amount of care you wish to take on.

Caring should not be at the expense of your own health and wellbeing. Please tell us how your caring role is affecting you and if you have any support needs.

We will try to help you by:

  • Respecting your privacy and confidentiality and conducting conversations of a personal nature in private.
  • Discussing the benefits of appropriate information sharing with patients who need or may in future need care from a relative or friend.
  • Providing you with information about the condition and needs of the person you care for, such as the effects of medication, where the person gives consent.
  • Always listening to and respecting the information you give us about your caring role and the needs of the person you care for.
  • Providing you with general information about health conditions when you ask for it when we do not have consent from the person you care for to share their personal information.

Our Carers Lead is Dr J Watson.

Please contact her if you have any queries about our support for carers - she will be happy to help and treat the conversation in strictest confidence.

Please follow the link below to download and print off the Carer's Identification and Referral Form

Carers Identification and Referral Form

What other help am I entitled to?

The following links will take you to the NHS website page for Carers and also tips on how to look after your own wellbeing whilst caring for another person.

What about if I am a Young Carer?

A Young Carer is someone who is aged 18 or under who has to look after a family member due to a condition, such as a disability, illness, mental health condition, or a drug or alcohol problem.

You are also entitled to help. Ask at reception for more information

What other help am I entitled to?

The following link will take you to the NHS website page for Young Carers and also tips on how to look after your own wellbeing whilst caring for another person.

Leicestershire County Council have a new ID scheme for Young Carer's which helps carers get more recognition for their important role. For more information about this scheme, and other support available please click on the following links.

ID Scheme -

Young Carer Page -


Local Services, Let